2021 SAS Essay Contest Winner:
The St. Andrew Society of Tallahassee annually holds an essay contest for all public, private and home-schooled 6th to 8th grade students residing in Gadsden, Jefferson, Leon, Wakulla, Grady (GA), and Thomas (GA) counties. A written essay must be no fewer than 500 or more than 700 words. An emailed essay submission to the Society must include a written and an audio version of the essay along with the application. The contest begins January 15, 2022 and the essay submission must be received no later than March 15, 2022.
Students do not have to be of Scottish descent or be a member of the St. Andrew Society of Tallahassee to submit an essay. First and second prizes are $300 and $200, respectively.
For more information or questions contact Glenn Robertson, Essay Contest Chairman at: email@example.com or call 850.294.8264.
ESSAY CONTEST THEME
The essay must relate to this theme: “What contributions did Scots make to the founding of the United States?”
Need some ideas?
Scotland supported the United States in its revolution against England.
Scottish “Enlightenment” authors provided inspiration in the formation of the U. S. Constitution.
A famous Scot helped establish the Continental Navy in 1775, the precursor to the United States’ Navy.
Scottish Immigrants were instrumental in building America in many ways.
Many Scottish Americans became U.S. Presidents, Cabinet members, Supreme Court Justices and Governors
Only one essay per student is accepted. Essays must consist of original material composed by the student. Students submitting essay content taken from print or electronic media without identifying sources will be disqualified. Students must provide full citations for quoted or paraphrased sources.
ESSAY APPLICATION: Please include the following information in the email message along with your attached essay submission (written and audio versions) no later than March 15, 2022 to Glenn Robertson firstname.lastname@example.org.
Address: _________________________________ ________________________________________
State: __________ Zip: ________________
Email Address: ___________________________________
Home Phone: _____________________________ Cell phone: _________________________
Name of Parent or Guardian : ________________________________________
School attending: ______________________________________________ Grade: ______
Name of the teacher who provided information about the Essay Contest: _________________________
ESSAY FORMATTING REQUIREMENTS
1. Have a title specific to the theme and include it, the author’s name and the date of submission on a title page.
2. Have a minimum of 500 and a maximum of 700 words.
3. Cite all quoted or paraphrased source materials in the narrative or in footnotes.
4. Typed, double-spaced Microsoft Word or Word-compatible document in standard letter orientation (8.5 x 11 inches) with one-inch margins and page numbers.
5. Use a Times New Roman font with a font size of 12.
ESSAY SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
1. The Essay Contest begins on January 15, 2022. March 15, 2022 is the final date for essay submissions. 2. The written essay plus audio of the author reading the essay plus a completed application must be emailed to Glenn Robertson, Essay Contest Chairman at email@example.com no later than March 15, 2022.
SCORING OF ESSAYS
A committee of St. Andrew Society of Tallahassee Board members will review and score essays using the following criteria:
1. Originality of content. All paraphrased or quoted content must have citations. (30 points),
2. Content is clearly written, well organized and free of grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors. (40 points), and
3. The exhibiting of highly creative, personal and unique approaches to the topic. (30 points)
Essay reviewers will independently score each essay. The Society Educator will average reviewers’ individual scores for each of the three criteria listed above. The sum of the average scores for the three criteria will constitute the overall score for each essay. The Society will declare the students whose averaged essay scores rank first and second among all the entries as the winners.
The St. Andrew Society reserves the right to not make any awards if no essays score a minimum average of 70 points.
ESSAY CONTEST AWARDS
The first-place award is $300. The second-place award is $200.
Winners will be notified by April 1, 2022.
Winners will have an opportunity to read their essay during a future St. Andrew Society of Tallahassee event.
Please email the St. Andrew Society Educator, Glenn Robertson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.